operation not permitted on entropy file

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Mon Aug 11 16:39:22 UTC 2014

On Mon, 11 Aug 2014 08:35:35 -0700, David Benfell wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 11, 2014 at 05:16:53PM +0200, Polytropon wrote:
> > On Mon, 11 Aug 2014 09:52:00 -0500, Adam Vande More wrote:
> > > Try fsck'ing a nearly full TB FS on a production box that has had a dirty
> > > unmount and you will begin to appreciate the adventure a bit more.
> >
> > I prefer appreciating my precious data. :-)
> >
> On my system, it's a 2TB disk.

That will probably take up to 30 minutes for a full fsck run.
As if this would matter in comparison to the importance of
your data... :-)

> > > This statement doesn't make sense.  Can you post the output you're seeing
> > > along with the mount options in play?
>
> Ummm, how could I post this output? In single user, read-only mode, I
> don't think it got logged anywhere. I didn't take a picture. But I saw
> lots of messages referring to "unexpected SU+J inconsistencies." I
> remember the abbreviation sequence because I didn't know what it stood
> for (and still don't understand 'soft updates').

After being done in single user mode, type "exit" to
continue booting to multi user mode. Then press Ctrl+Alt+PF2
and login with your user name and password - in text mode.
Use the editor of choice to create a capture file, for
example

	% ee /tmp/fsck.txt

Then press Alt+F1 to see the virtual console where the
output of the booting process has been written to. Press
Scroll Lock, then use the arrow keys to scroll up to where
fsck wrote its messages. Select the first 25 lines with
the left mouse button, switch over to Alt+PF2 (editor)
and paste the text with the middle mouse button. Then
return to Alt+PF1, scroll down, and capture the next
portion of the text, back to Alt+PF2, paste - until you
have reached the "exit" command. Now save the file and
send the text to the mailing list.

Yes, I know, this looks complicated, but it's not that
you're doing this 50 times every day, so it should work.

> > Having _no_ soft updates is probably only true for / when the
> > traditional partitioned layout has been chosen in the installer
> > (that is, for sysinstall; I don't know bsdinstall's defaults
> > from my memory). All other partitions are usually initialized
> > with soft updates enabled.
>
> Okay, this part I'm not remembering. It was FreeBSD 10/stable I was
> installing (I made a disk with my notebook). I don't know if it was
> sysinstall or bsdinstall.

It was bsdinstall. Only older releases use sysinstall.

> Mine:
>
> home# mount
> /dev/ada0p3 on / (ufs, local, journaled soft-updates)

So you have a single partition approach, with soft updates,
and journaling enabled. Mystery solved. :-)

> I had understood you to say that neither journaling nor soft-updates
> were the default for the / partition.

This probably only applies to the "old fashioned" partitioned
approach, where you have different partitions for "functionally
different" purposes, like /, /tmp, /var, /usr, /home, /opt,
/scratch and whatnot. This is mostly found on MBR-styled systems,
but also possible when you use the GPT approach.

> I'm not remembering if they were
> presented as options in the install or if I selected those options.
> (This isn't stuff I ordinarily think much about.)

Probably you chose the "use the whole disk" setting.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany