operation not permitted on entropy file

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sun Aug 10 13:01:20 UTC 2014

On Sun, 10 Aug 2014 07:48:07 -0500, Adam Vande More wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 10, 2014 at 7:42 AM, Polytropon <freebsd at edvax.de> wrote:
>
> > (And I also lost files due to "too much automatism", but could
> > regain the data; "fsck -yf" isn't always fist choice: "inode
> > corrected" - file present, size 0, data gone.)
>

> Zero length files after fsck are a side effect of SU, not background
> fsck's.  Same thing basically happens on EXT4.

Yes, I didn't say it had anything to do with background fsck.
In fact, it was a "normal" foreground fsck that caused it.
But by grep'ing through the disk, 4 hours later I got the
data (which I had worked on the whole day) back. :-)

The problem that scared me away from background fsck had been
the creation of some snapshot, maybe even damaged, that
prevented a normal run of foreground fsck, and in the result
got me a big data loss. Several years (!) later, I got my
data back, like "by accident": removing the snapshot enabled
fsck to perform its inteded task normally. It brought back
all data and most of the file names and tree structures.

See my first posts to this list if you want to read the
whole terrible story. ;-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany