tcsh login question ....

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Sun Aug 10 11:15:03 UTC 2014

On Sat, Aug 09, 2014 at 01:27:12PM -0500, William A. Mahaffey III wrote:

> .... when I shell into my newly minted FreeBSD 9.3 desktop, or login w/
> a console login, everything under tcsh gets initialized AOK. I then
> activated xdm to manage logins (I like it that way), the /ect/csh.login
> file clearly does  *not* get sourced. I have many aliases, prompt
> setting, & other goodies which are absent. The tcsh manpage clearly says
> it will be sourced at login, what gives ?

The /etc/csh.login files is only read by *login* shells.

X11 terminal emulators do not always use a login shell. You often need to
start the terminal emulator with an option to do that.

If you put your customizations in /etc/csh.cshrc instead of /etc/csh.login,
that won't be an issue.

Roland
--
R.F.Smith                                   http://rsmith.home.xs4all.nl/
pgp: 5753 3324 1661 B0FE 8D93  FCED 40F6 D5DC A38A 33E0 (keyID: A38A33E0)