BIOS monitoring goodies ....

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Sun Aug 10 11:00:29 UTC 2014

On Sat, Aug 09, 2014 at 04:47:29PM -0500, William A. Mahaffey III wrote:

> .... Linux has myriad tools, utilities, apps, etc. (hddtemp, lmsensors,
> jwclock, etc.) for monitoring info from the BIOS &/or OS hardware info
> .... Surely there must be some such for FreeBSD, could someone point me
> to them :-) ? TIA ....

For watching the CPU temperature you've got coretemp(4) for Intel CPUs and
amdtemp(4) for AMD CPUs. Both report their values through sysctl(8), and both
can be loaded as modules. N.B: they're not built into the GENERIC kernel.
Just kldload the appropriate module and then do `sysctl -a|grep temperature`.

If you have an ASUSTeK motherboard, the aibs(4) driver gives information about
temperatures, voltages and fan speed.

You can use smartctl from the sysutils/smartmontools package to monitor the
health of harddisks. The disk temperature is given as the attribute name
“Temperature_Celsius” when you run `smartctl -a /dev/<disk>`.

E.g. the sysutils/conky port can be used as a system monitor.

Roland
--
R.F.Smith                                   http://rsmith.home.xs4all.nl/
pgp: 5753 3324 1661 B0FE 8D93  FCED 40F6 D5DC A38A 33E0 (keyID: A38A33E0)