operation not permitted on entropy file

David Benfell benfell at parts-unknown.org
Sun Aug 10 07:02:47 UTC 2014

Hello all,

I've continued to have serious problems with my server crashing, even
having identified and removed a bad memory card.

Now I see this....

----- Forwarded message from Cron Daemon <operator at mail.parts-unknown.org> -----

Date: Sat,  9 Aug 2014 23:11:00 -0700 (PDT)
From: Cron Daemon <operator at mail.parts-unknown.org>
To: operator at mail.parts-unknown.org
Subject: Cron <operator at home> /usr/libexec/save-entropy

mv: rename saved-entropy.7 to saved-entropy.8: Operation not permitted

----- End forwarded message -----

and this:

Aug  9 23:08:58 home kernel: cat: /var/db/entropy/saved-entropy.7:
Input/output error
Aug  9 23:08:58 home kernel: Writing entropy file:.
Aug  9 23:08:58 home kernel: rm: /var/db/entropy/saved-entropy.7:
Operation not permitted

Something seems very much to have gone awry:

home# ls -al /var/db/entropy
total 40
drwx------   2 operator  operator      512 Aug  9 23:55 .
drwxr-xr-x  23 root      wheel        1024 Aug  9 22:49 ..
-r--------   1 operator  operator     2048 Aug  9 23:55
saved-entropy.1
-r--------   1 operator  operator     2048 Aug  9 23:44
saved-entropy.2
-r--------  23 operator  4194309   9308160 Aug  9 22:00
saved-entropy.7
home#

Notice the group assigned to that saved-entropy.7 file. I assume the
ownership should be operator:operator, but I can't change it. I can't
remove it. I always get 'operation not permitted'.

Looking around on the Internet, I found a suggestion to do:

        chflags -R noschg

So I tacked the filename/path on the end of it, and ... still ... got
'operation not permitted'.

I assume this is getting in the way of something. Now what?

Thanks!

--
David Benfell <benfell at parts-unknown.org>
See https://parts-unknown.org/node/2 if you don't understand the