X11 setup ....

William A. Mahaffey III wam at hiwaay.net
Sat Aug 9 18:16:28 UTC 2014

On 08/09/14 12:03, doug wrote:
> On Sat, 9 Aug 2014, William A. Mahaffey III wrote:
>
>>   .... I am following the instructions at
>> [1]http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x-config.h
>>   tml to get my newly installed xorg setup. I stepped through everything
>>   up to the 'Xorg -config xorg.conf.new -retro' which didn't fail, bit
>>   didn't behave quite like it was supposed to .... Machine is AMD Jaguar
>>   Kabini based, quad core, 1.3 GHz, 25W, gfx on die:
>>   Aug  9 10:23:34 kabini1 kernel: CPU: AMD Sempron(tm) 3850 APU with
>>   Radeon(tm) R3     (1297.59-MHz K8-class CPU)
>>   xorg detects it as: BoardName   "Kabini [Radeon HD 8280 / R3 Series]"
>>   The above test is supposed to give a black & grey grid on the screen,
>>   w/ an X-mouse. I have the mouse, & it moves around, although
>>   click-&-drag does nothing, & I might have the grid, although it is
>>   pixel-by-pixel, not finitely sized grid .... The troubleshooting page
>>   is little help .... Am I good to go or not :-/ ? TIA ....
>> --
> Look in /var/log/Xorg.0.log. Errors are somewhat esoteric unless you
> know a lot about X11 but they are clearly marked. You can subscribe to
>
> You can see if you are good to go by trying startx.

Thanks. My question was poorly articulated, should have been 'am I OK
for XFCE ?' .... I plunged on & started XFCE, & it works mostly pretty
good, but the gfx is definitely spotty, lotta flickering, background on
desktop looks a bit dicey, window frames are granular & flickery. I just
looked through /var/log/Xorg.0.log & there are *no* errors (no '(EE)'s)
.... what now :-/ ....

--

	William A. Mahaffey III