Touchpad issues

David Benfell benfell at parts-unknown.org
Sat Aug 9 07:54:58 UTC 2014

On Fri, Aug 08, 2014 at 11:14:26AM -1000, al plant wrote:
> David Benfell wrote:
> > On Thu, Aug 07, 2014 at 12:22:34PM -0400, illoai at gmail.com wrote:
> >
> >> I strongly dislike xorg taking over the kernel rôle of
> >> mediating hardware, so I don't have a HAL-ified xorg,
> >> & I have
> >> hw.psm.synaptics_support=1
> >> in my /boot/loader.conf
> >> & I use the old, simple "Driver" "mouse" with /dev/sysmouse
> >> (Options "Protocol" "auto").  Letting moused(8)
> >> handle the plugging & unplugging of USB mousies
> >> works fine & everything I need does what I need.
> >>
> I have a Linux HP net book and I cant go near the touchpad or it clicks.
> I contacted HP and they said they know this happens with some people.
> The small switch (iluminated white) above the pad can be depressed to
> deactivate the pad.
> They tell you to use a USB wireless logitech mouse.
> This works fine.

The non-hal solution seems to work tolerably. It's no worse than what
I had. The one thing I notice is that moused doesn't seem quite as
stable as however it is a hal-ified xorg manages it. On the other
hand, and this is the part that seems a win to me, the recovery is
simple. One can simply go to a tty--what do you call those things
anyway that are prior to xorg and accessible with

        service moused restart

If something like that happens with the hal version, you have to
restart xorg, which could be a lot more disruptive.

--
David Benfell <benfell at parts-unknown.org>
See https://parts-unknown.org/node/2 if you don't understand the