[solved - sort of]:Re: Anyone running IBM SPSS Statistical software on FreeBSD?

R Skinner rocky at herveybayaustralia.com.au
Sat Aug 9 01:03:47 UTC 2014

Well I have good news, and bad news. After several days of pulling this
apart to make it work, I have some results.

Good news is the linux version could (in theory) be made to work on
FreeBSD - possibly even natively, as it uses java and python as far as I
can see. With some work (and intense hacking) I believe it could be
possible.

Bad news is IBM couldn't really give a shit. Even their supposedly
"supported" linux version (with the exception of probably their own)
they couldn't give a straight answer to save their life. It was use the
installer as is or take a hike.

The installer is some ridiculous software to make a linux installation
like a a windows install (why?). It runs java, and requires the genuine
oracle java version. The packaged version is 64 bit, not 32 though, so
it will never work. Use the script to get the environment variables, it
will store that in a few places (and do the same job several times
over). One file you need is env.properties, the other is temp.lax
(installer property file). So this is the cmd line you're after:

$actvm $options $lax_nl_java_launcher_main_class $propfname
$envPropertiesFile $cmdLineArgs

Where $actvm is the oracle java, $options is '-cp $CLASSPATH' which
would be just what is in the install dir, $lax_nl_launcher_main_class is
found in the properties files, $propfname is the temp.lax,
$envPropertiesFile is the env.properties; there are no command arguments
that I'm aware of - as far as IBM is too. Could be a silent version (no
gui) but there is no way to really know without some serious looking
through 3k+ lines of script. You also want to ensure that LANG=C and
java home is set correctly before running.

Having done that, the main piece of code you want is under disc1, which
is a zip file. Inside that you will find a tar.gz that is what you
really want as that is the actually app. The rest just sets up env and
other stuff.

Incidentally, it appears IBM has hardwired the java version in the
script so that it can't be overridden by a preinstalled version - same
with python in the java installer too (why?).

And that is as far as I got. I ran out of time and steam to get this to
go, but I did get the installer working up to the point where it started
a script to install the app.

Hope that helps someone else down the track :)

Now I might just use the linux version under VBox or wine it.