FreeBSD amd64 + VirtualBox on Mac boot issues

Christopher Hilton chris at vindaloo.com
Fri Aug 8 15:27:43 UTC 2014

I think this is a VirtualBox problem but I'd like to see if anyone else in the FreeBSD community has seen this problem.  Maybe they even have a fix or workaround.

Is anyone using VirtualBox 4.3.14 to host FreeBSD amd64 guests? I'm doing this with VirtualBox on Mac OS X and I get one of three behaviors when start the FreeBSD guest:

   o The FreeBSD Guest hangs as Booting…

   o The guest loads the kernel but panics before launching init and userland.

   o The guest boots fine.

I cannot correlate anything that I'm doing to the guest that makes VirtualBox behave this way and If I reboot the guest enough times eventually it starts. My machine is a Core 2 Duo Mac Mini with 8G of RAM. The guest has 1G of RAM. It runs FreeBSD 9.3-RELEASE.

If you need more information please feel free to hit me off-list. Again, I think this is a VirtualBox issue.

-- Chris