it keeps crashing and I don't know why

Markus Hoenicka markus.hoenicka at mhoenicka.de
Fri Aug 8 14:37:00 UTC 2014

At 2014-08-08 16:31, David Benfell was heard to say:
> On Fri, Aug 08, 2014 at 04:00:29PM +0200, Markus Hoenicka wrote:
>>
>> Well, if memory corruption is a possible source of your problems,
>> you'd
>> better run memtest as Maxim suggested. Some Linux live CDs contain it
>> anyway, see e.g. Knoppix.
>>
> I think Maxim was pointing to something even more convenient.
> Memtester is a port, found in sysutils. I'm running it now.
>
> Maybe the system will stay up long enough for it to complete....
>
> Thanks!

I don't know the innards of FreeBSD well enough to be sure, but I
remember from the days of yore that memtest runs without an OS to be
able to do whatever it likes. This was said (back then) to give more
thorough results than if you allow the OS to interfere with memory
access.

regards,
Markus

--