Touchpad issues

illoai at gmail.com illoai at gmail.com
Thu Aug 7 16:22:36 UTC 2014

On 2 August 2014 18:38, David Benfell <benfell at parts-unknown.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> This is on my Asus X202E. For me its touchpad (and every other
> touchpad I have ever encountered) is hypersensitive. The cursor
> moves erratically. It clicks when it wants to, which is often
> not when *I* want it to. It seems to regard the area of the
> buttons as area that should indicate cursor movement. When I
> put a finger on the surface to try to move the cursor, it some-
> times mistakes this for a click. I would prefer buttons to be
> buttons and not anything else, and cursor movement surface to
> be cursor movement surface and not anything else.
>
> I've posted my xorg.conf here: http://gw.gd/fVMO
>
> Notice the FingerHigh option on the Synaptics Touchpad section.
> It is orders of magnitude higher than I have seen in any example
> I've found on the net. Its behavior is somewhat improved but
> *still* somewhat erratic. My hunch is that I should be tweaking
> something else.
>
> I have also posted my Xorg.0.log here: http://gw.gd/S0Xt
>
> The touchpad is not, apparently, really a Synaptics. It also
> complains about other things such as finger width settings that
> I have no idea how to tweak.
>
> How should I be fixing this?

I strongly dislike xorg taking over the kernel rôle of
mediating hardware, so I don't have a HAL-ified xorg,
& I have
hw.psm.synaptics_support=1
in my /boot/loader.conf
& I use the old, simple "Driver" "mouse" with /dev/sysmouse
(Options "Protocol" "auto").  Letting moused(8)
handle the plugging & unplugging of USB mousies
works fine & everything I need does what I need.

I'm not saying this is the best way to handle it, but it
does give edge scrolling & such, & a bunch of tunables
under hw.psm that I've never fiddled with.  It's a bit
touchy for my taste, but dropping your wrists while
typing is a bad habit anyway.

I also don't know how well moused(8) works with a HAL-
ified xorg & hot-plugging USB mousies, I don't care to
test it.