some ZFS questions

Scott Bennett bennett at sdf.org
Thu Aug 7 08:16:27 UTC 2014

     On Wed, 6 Aug 2014 03:49:37 -0500 Andrew Berg
<aberg010 at my.hennepintech.edu> wrote:
>On 2014.08.06 02:32, Scott Bennett wrote:
>>      I have a number of questions that I need answered before I go about
>> setting up any raidz pools.  They are in no particular order.
>>
>> 	1) What is the recommended method of using geli encryption with
>> 	ZFS?
>
>> Does one first create .eli devices and then specify those
>> 	.eli devices in the zpool(8) command as the devices to include
>> 	in the pool?
>This.

     Oh.  Well, that's doable, if not terribly convenient, but it brings up
another question.  After a reboot, for example, what does ZFS do while the
array of .eli devices is being attached one by one?  Does it see the first
one attached without the others in sight and decide it has a failed pool?

>> 	2) How does one start or stop a pool?
>That depends on what you mean by 'start' and 'stop'. I am guessing by what you
>described that you mean 'import' and 'export'. I'm not sure how to prevent

     Oh.  Okay.  At least there is some way to accomplish the same thing.

>automatic import for pools that were imported on the same system and not
>exported prior to shutdown, but I am sure it can be done. Resilvering does not

     Maybe someone else will say how it can be done.

>mercilessly thrash disks; standard reads and writes are given higher priority
>in the scheduler than resilver and scrub operations.

     If two pools use different partitions on a drive and both pools are
rebuilding those partitions at the same time, then how could ZFS *not*
be hammering the drive?  The access arm would be doing almost nothing but
endless series of long seeks back and forth between the two partitions
involved.  When you're talking about hundreds of gigabytes to be written
to each partition, it could take months or even years to complete, during
which time something else is almost certain to fail and halt the rebuilds.

>> 	3) If a raidz2 or raidz3 loses more than one component, does one
>> 	simply replace and rebuild all of them at once?  Or is it necessary
>> 	to rebuild them serially?  In some particular order?
>AFAIK, replacement of several disks can't be done in a single command, but I
>don't think you need to wait for a resilver to finish on one before you can
>replace another.

     That looks good.  What happens if a "zpool replace failingdrive newdrive"
is running when the failingdrive actually fails completely?

>> 	5) When I upgrade to amd64, the usage would continue to be low-
>> 	intensity as defined above.  Will the 4 GB be enough?  I will not
>> 	be using the "deduplication" feature at all.
>It will be enough unless you are managing tens of TB of data. I recommend
>setting an ARC limit of 3GB or so. There is a patch that makes the ARC handle

     3 GB for ARC plus whatever is needed for FreeBSD would leave much room
for applications to run.  Maybe I won't be able to use ZFS if it requires
so vastly more page-fixed memory than UFS. :-(

>memory pressure more gracefully, but it's not committed yet. I highly recommend
>moving to 64-bit as soon as possible.

     I intend to do so, but "as soon as possible" will be after all this
disk trouble and disk reconfiguration have been resolved.  It will be done
via an in-place upgrade from source, so I need to have a place to run
buildworld and buildkernel.  Before doing an installkernel and installworld,
I need also to have a place to run full backups.  I have not had a place to
store new backups for the last three months, which is making me more unhappy
by the day.  I really have to get the disk work *done* before I can move
forward on anything else, which is why I'm trying to find out whether I can
actually use ZFS raidzN in that cause while still on i386.  Performance
will not be an issue that I can see until later if ever.  I just need to
know whether I can use it at all with my presently installed OS or will
instead have to use gvinum(8) raid5 and hope for minimal data corruption.
(At least only one .eli device would be needed in that case, not the M+N
.eli devices that would be required for a raidzN pool.) Unfortunately,
ideal conditions for ZFS are not an available option for now.
     Further, the real memory on the system will not change by converting
to amd64, although at least the kernel should ignore somewhat less of that
real memory than it does in i386.

>> 	6) I have a much fancier computer sitting unused that I intend to
>> 	put into service fairly soon after getting my current disk and data
>> 	situation resolved.  The drives that would be in use for raidz
>> 	pools I would like to attach to that system when it is ready.  It
>> 	also has 4 GB of memory, but would start out as an amd64 system and
>> 	might well have another 2 GB or 4 GB added at some point(s), though
>> 	not immediately.  What problems/pitfalls/precautions would I need
>> 	to have in mind and be prepared for in order to move those drives
>> 	from the current system to that newer one?
>It should be pretty painless to move pools from system to system. Exporting a
>pool from the old system is recommended before moving, but not necessary.

     One thing I ran across was the following from the zpool(8) man page.

  "For pools to be portable, you must give the zpool command whole
  disks, not just slices, so that ZFS can label the disks with portable
  EFI labels. Otherwise, disk drivers on platforms of different endian-
  ness will not recognize the disks."

If I have one raidzN comprising .eli partitions and another raidzN comprising
a set of unencrypted partitions on those same drives, will I be able to
export both raidzN pools from a 9-STABLE system and then import them
into, say, a 10-STABLE system on a different Intel amd64 machine?  By your
answer to question 1), it would seem that I need to have two raidzN pools,
although there might be a number of benefits to having both encrypted and
unencrypted file systems allocated inside a single pool were that an option.
Also, I would like to use 100 - 200 GB on each drive for other purposes that
might well not involve ZFS, although there may be ways I could avoid putting
those functions onto the raidzNs' drives.
     Thanks for your answers.  I am beginning now to fill in some of the
pieces to the puzzle, though that process still has some way to go.

                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG
* Internet:   bennett at sdf.org   *xor*   bennett at freeshell.org  *