Determining Video Hardware For "WITH_NEW_XORG"

Jamie Paul Griffin griffin8j at gmail.com
Tue Aug 5 07:25:04 UTC 2014

On 04/08/2014 09:35, Polytropon wrote:
> On Mon, 04 Aug 2014 09:22:26 +0100, Jamie Griffin wrote:
>> As I use KDE4 - version 4.10.5 currently - will I have to stick with the
>> pkg(8) url "pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/${ABI}/release/0" for upgrading
>> and installing packages?
>>
>> Or, can I still build the software on the machine using poudriere and
>> specify 'WITHOUT_NEW_XORG' in order to benefit from the latest releases
>> of KDE et al?
> An addition:
>
> http://ximalas.info/2014/03/13/without_new_xorgyes-true/
>
> https://wiki.freebsd.org/Graphics/WITH_NEW_XORG
>
> Check Intel GPU and driver in relation to KMS.

Do you happen to know if the pkg url ending with .../release/0 can be
used for a long time going forward or is it just a temporary facility? I
had to use it to get my desktop back on my machine so I didn't have to
compile it all but a lot of the packages now need updating so it seems
i'm either stuck with out-of-date software or have to go ahead with
changing to the WITH_NEW_XORG stuff.

Jamie