Determining Video Hardware For "WITH_NEW_XORG"

Jamie Paul Griffin griffin8j at gmail.com
Tue Aug 5 07:14:27 UTC 2014

On 04/08/2014 21:18, Warren Block wrote:
> On Mon, 4 Aug 2014, Jamie Griffin wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> Having looked at dmesg output and the information provided by FreeBSD
>> devs about supported video hardware for WITH_NEW_XORG compilation
>> knob, I would like to ask if you can confirm what I have determined
>> my video hardware is:
>>
>> from dmesg:
>> agp0: Intel Q45 SVGA controller
>>
>> from pciconf:
>> vgapci0 at pci0:0:2:0:     class=0x030000 card=0x304817aa
>> chip=0x2e128086 rev=0x03 hdr=0x00
>>    vendor     = 'Intel Corporation'
>>    device     = '4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller'
>>    class      = display
>>    subclass   = VGA
>> vgapci1 at pci0:0:2:1:     class=0x038000 card=0x304817aa
>> chip=0x2e138086 rev=0x03 hdr=0x00
>>    vendor     = 'Intel Corporation'
>>    device     = '4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller'
>>    class      = display
>>
>> So my graphics hardware is codename 'Eaglelake' with device id 2e12.
>
> Really, it's easier to tell based on which processor.  The Q45 is
> Core2, I think.

My processor is a "Pentium" with 2 cores. Not i[357], just Pentium. It's
a fairly low-end machine.

>> Does this mean this hardware is too old and therefore unsupported by
>> the new xorg software and necessary components?
>
> No, as far as I know only the very newest is not yet supported: the
> Haswell chips and maybe the weird video in the new Atoms.
>
>> As I use KDE4 - version 4.10.5 currently - will I have to stick with
>> the pkg(8) url "pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/${ABI}/release/0" for
>> upgrading and installing packages?
>>
>> Or, can I still build the software on the machine using poudriere and
>> specify 'WITHOUT_NEW_XORG' in order to benefit from the latest
>> releases of KDE et al?
>
> Again, as far as I know, you can use the latest Intel KMS driver.

Thank you for clarifying, it is a bit of a relief to know that. I've
waited ages before upgrading everything until I could be sure it's not
going to be in vain and have to revert back to older software.

Jamie