automount ....

William A. Mahaffey III wam at hiwaay.net
Sun Aug 3 21:20:04 UTC 2014

On 08/03/14 14:01, Roland Smith wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 03, 2014 at 01:12:43PM -0500, William A. Mahaffey III wrote:
>>> And I wonder how many people are actually using NFS these days. In offices,
>>> SMB/CIFS seems paramount these days.
>> Yeah, if you are cursed w/ a plethora of M$FT boxen on your network ....
>> none on mine, only VM's ....
> Fortunate soul. I'm mostly stuck with 'doze at work. :-(

>>>   From the amd(8) manual:
>>>
>>>       File systems are automatically unmounted when they appear to be quiescent.
>>>
>>> It seems you and amd have a difference of opinion about what active/quiescent
>>> means...
>> Indeed, except that I was midstroke on a large cp of files onto the
>> FreeBSD box from its soon-to-be predescessor, I thought that would
>> qualify as activity ....
> You would think that, yes. But maybe there was an underlying NFS error?
>
> For a one-time copy I tend to use tar with its output piped into netcat, and
> the reverse on the receiving side. No complicated setup and it's pretty fast;
> I've seen it saturate a 100 Mbit link.
>
> For distributing regular updates, you cannot beat rsync, IMO. And it still
> requires less setup effort than nfs and amd.
>
> Roland

What I think may have happened is slow enough I/O off of this machine
that it looked quiescent to the new box. I tried the cp again from the
server that rsyncs this box nightly & the cp completed. The server is
1Gbit ethernet, & my LAN is gigabit switched, but this box is a troll,
AMD Athlon64X2 3800+ based, 2 GB RAM, 20 GB root drive (91+ % full), 160
GB SATA home drive, 97+ % full, & 100 mbit ethernet. That's why it's
getting replaced :-) ....

--

	William A. Mahaffey III