PC Not Visible On Other Machines

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Sun Aug 3 14:07:35 UTC 2014

On Sun, Aug 03, 2014 at 08:17:23AM -0400, Jerry wrote:
> On Sun, 3 Aug 2014 13:10:48 +0200, Roland Smith stated:
>
> {snip]
>
> >Directories do not just disappear. If you are sure you didn't accidentally
> >delete them the directories in question, use e.g. sysutils/smartmontools to
> >check the health of your harddisk, and do a full fsck on your filesystems.
>
> I have checked the drive and it appears to be fine. In any case, that would
> not explain why this PC is no longer being detected on other PC's.

At a guess, I'd say that there was something wrong with either Samba or
whatever is acting as primary domain controller.

Make sure that /usr/local/etc/smb.conf and (if you are using the smbpasswd)
/usr/local/etc/samba/smbpasswd still exist and are accessible.

If you enabled the swat option when building samba, you can also go to
http://localhost:901 to see what samba thinks its configuration it.

Roland
--
R.F.Smith                                   http://rsmith.home.xs4all.nl/
pgp: 5753 3324 1661 B0FE 8D93  FCED 40F6 D5DC A38A 33E0 (keyID: A38A33E0)