PC Not Visible On Other Machines

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Sun Aug 3 11:10:59 UTC 2014

On Sun, Aug 03, 2014 at 06:17:02AM -0400, Jerry wrote:
> Sun, 3 Aug 2014 06:14:32 -0400
>
> FreeBSD 10.0-RELEASE-p7
>
> This is the first time this has ever happened that I am aware of. I tried
> Googling but found nothing related to it.
>
> Yesterday, my MTA, Postfix stop working because it could not get SASL
> authentication. That was because dovecot had failed to start. Dovecot failed
> to start because it could not find its “PEM” files. It could not find its
> “PEM” files because the “/etc/ssl” directory was gone. I have no idea how
> that happened. I recreated the directory and the “PEM” files and that fixed
> the Dovecot/Postfix problem. Now, I have another problem. My machine no
> longer shows up in the network listing on any of my Windows machines. I have
> one Win 8.1 and two Win 7 machines and on all of them, the FreeBSD machine is
> gone. I did a complete reboot of every one of them but the problem continues.
> I made sure that Samba was working so that does no appear to be the problem.
> If I manually enter the machine name in the address bar on a Windows machine;
> i.e., \\MyPC, I can access it.
>
> This makes no sense. Other than having to do a complete reinstall of FreeBSD,
> something I have had to do in the past when things got totally F/U, is there
> something I should check first?

Directories do not just disappear. If you are sure you didn't accidentally
delete them the directories in question, use e.g. sysutils/smartmontools to
check the health of your harddisk, and do a full fsck on your filesystems.

Roland
--
R.F.Smith                                   http://rsmith.home.xs4all.nl/
pgp: 5753 3324 1661 B0FE 8D93  FCED 40F6 D5DC A38A 33E0 (keyID: A38A33E0)