switch to DCHP from static ip

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sat Aug 2 21:07:39 UTC 2014

On Sat, 2 Aug 2014 10:03:40 +0200, Roland Smith wrote:
> Home routers generally have a web server running on their internal network.
> You can use it to check and change (parts of) the configuration such as DHCP.
> So try pointing your browser to 192.168.200.1. More often than not the default
> login name / password combination is admin / admin.

Allow me an addition:

Some home routers with a web interface allow you to also
define fixed (local) addresses depending on the MAC address,
so the DHCP server will issue the same IP every time a
given device connects. However, not all routers support
that function - I have already met models where you can
select the local IP range (192.168.x.[y-z]), but you
cannot set fixed addresses...

Regarding the admin access: On some models, the factory
setting is printed on the back, or it comes with the docu-
mentation provided by the ISP which "normal people"
immediately throw away after receiving their new shiny
equipment. ;-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany