FreeBSD 9.3 new install problems ....

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Fri Aug 1 23:28:53 UTC 2014

On Fri, Aug 01, 2014 at 03:22:53PM -0500, William A. Mahaffey III wrote:
> On 08/01/14 11:43, Roland Smith wrote:

> >> Mostly saved me possible typos typing it all in live .... It just
> >> entered the same gpt/gstripe/newfs.etc commands I would have typed in at
> >> the console ....
> > Why don't you use the installer that comes on the install images,
> > `bsdinstall`?
> >
> > Roland
>

> I poked around a bit (*not* much), & missed anything RAID-related in the
> installer .... is that on me ? The FreeBSD doc site seemed to imply that
> I would need the shell approach to do what I wanted, so I mostly just
> went w/ that, maybe more pilot error :-/ ....

Personally, to keep things simple I like to install FreeBSD on a simple UFS
partition.

Once the system is up and running I can then mirror/raid the data drives any
way I choose.

There is a wiki page about setting up FreeBSD on a mirrored ZFS boot drive
though; https://wiki.freebsd.org/RootOnZFS/GPTZFSBoot/9.0-RELEASE

Roland
--
R.F.Smith                                   http://rsmith.home.xs4all.nl/
pgp: 5753 3324 1661 B0FE 8D93  FCED 40F6 D5DC A38A 33E0 (keyID: A38A33E0)