Spam to list participants (from openhosting.com & softcom.com)

Dave dave at dgmm.net
Wed Apr 30 16:05:45 UTC 2014

On Wednesday 30 April 2014 06:31:15 Mike Sanders wrote:
> Olivier Nicole wrote:
> > Spam is *not* sent to the list, so abuse button or anything will not
> > help at all.
> >
> > The spamers harvest the addresses from some web archive of the list
> > (or because they subscribed to the list themselves) but they do not
> > use the list to send smap.
> >
> > FreeBSD list *cannot* help on the matter.
>
> Oliver, you've just (albeit unwittingly) proved my point by CC'ing
> this message...
>
> No email address other than freebsd-questions at freebsd.org should be
> broadcast to others. If you did not have access to my personal
> email address (provided to you by the the freebsd list), then
> you could not have emailed me off list to begin with correct?

Part of the principles of the FreeBSD list operation is that one doesn't need
to be a subscriber to use the list and so a request to be CC'ed in on list
replies is needed and required in those cases.

This may be a policy which needs to be revisited if enough list users care
about it but the idea of the policy is to be as accessible as possible to as
many people as possible.

Over the years I've been subscribed, spam hasn't been enough of a problem to
justify a change by the list operators.