Multiple "/usr/sbin/freebsd-update cron" processes

Victor Sudakov vas at mpeks.tomsk.su
Wed Apr 30 05:55:10 UTC 2014

Colin Percival wrote:
> On 04/29/14 20:34, Victor Sudakov wrote:
> > I wonder why the "/usr/sbin/freebsd-update cron" process sometimes
> > runs in several copies (possibly corrupting the database).
> >
> > It's started from cron at 6am every day, why should it multiply like
> > that?
>
> The only thing I can think of is if some of those are running inside jails.

There are no jails on that host.

In fact, there is pretty much nothing on that host (8.4-RELEASE-p7
i386), it is just a slave nameserver for a dozen zones running named
from the base system.

But even if someone had a crazy idea to run freebsd-update inside a
jail (unstead of using the -b option), each process would happily have
its own copy of jailed workdir, instead of fighting for the main workdir like
this:

rm: filelist: No such file or directory
cut: INDEX-PRESENT.tmp: No such file or directory
join: INDEX-PRESENT.tmp: No such file or directory
rm: INDEX-PRESENT.tmp: No such file or directory
grep: INDEX-OLD: No such file or directory
grep: INDEX-OLD: No such file or directory
grep: INDEX-OLD: No such file or directory
grep: INDEX-OLD: No such file or directory
grep: INDEX-OLD: No such file or directory
comm: INDEX-OLD: No such file or directory
sort: open failed: INDEX-OLD: No such file or directory

--
Victor Sudakov,  VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN
sip:sudakov at sibptus.tomsk.ru