FreeBSD/amd64 on ASUS Transformer T100 convertible tablet?

Alexander Shendi Alexander.Shendi at web.de
Mon Apr 28 18:45:20 UTC 2014

Hi Ian,

Thank you for your thorough explanation.

Here is how I proceeded (using Ubuntu Linux):
* I fetched refind, a maintained fork of refit, from
   refind.SF.net. Its website and documentation is
   at: http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/.
* I unpacked the zip-archive refind-bin-0.7.9.ZIP.
* I copied the "refind" subdirectory over to
   /boot/efi/EFI/ (the "EFI" subdirectory of the EFI
   system partition). Using install.sh didn't work.
* I then deleted /boot/efi/EFI/refind/refind_x64.EFI
   as the machine has 32bit EFI firmware.
* I edited refind.conf to allow search for BIOS Boot
   disks (MBR).
* I then booted /boot/efi/EFI/refind/refind_ia32.EFI
   via an EFI Shell.

Results:
* I was able to boot the installed Ubuntu-Kernel via
   refind.
* I couldn't boot the FreeBSD memstick, but got a
   message from refind complaining about missing
   CSM support. Indeed the Setup menu of the
   tablet doesn't have a menu entry to enable
   CSM or legacy BIOS support.

So it seems I'm out of luck.
Further ideas:
* Write to the author of refind...
* Try other bootloaders. GRUB2 is already installed
   via Ubuntu and it has a kfreebsd command to
   load a FreeBSD kernel. Does anyone have
   some expirience with this?

Does anyone have further suggestions?
Many thanks in advance and thank you for your
help so far.

Best Regards,

Alexander