Synchronized web sites on different FreeBSD servers?

Arthur Chance freebsd at qeng-ho.org
Mon Apr 28 16:11:04 UTC 2014

On 28/04/2014 15:48, edflecko . wrote:
> Forgive me if this is more of an "Apache" question and not a FreeBSD
> question.
>
> I'd like to use two Soekris appliances to host a single web site for a
> small business using Apache in a jail. Each Soekris would be configured
> identically and the web site they host would be as well.
>
> I'd like to know what features FreeBSD has (or Apache, if you'd like to
> comment) to maintain synchronization between the two "servers" so if one of
> the Soekris fails...the other will continue to host the web site without
> service interruption.
>
> Finally, once the failed Soekris is brought back online, how would you
> "re-sync" the two?

You might find this section on highly available storage from the
Handbook useful. HAST + CARP is a combination aimed at your sort of
requirements.

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/disks-hast.html

There's also a wiki page

https://wiki.freebsd.org/HAST

You'll need other people to help you with this though, I've never used
it myself, I only know it exists because I might have a future
requirement for it.