Free BSD Question?

dteske at FreeBSD.org dteske at FreeBSD.org
Sun Apr 27 17:24:34 UTC 2014

Turning FreeBSD into a router is easy...

sysrc gateway_enable=YES
service routing start

Turning FreeBSD into a proxy server is also easy...

pkg install -y squid
sysrc squid_enable=YES
squid -z
service squid start

Default port for squid is 3128. You can change it in
/usr/local/etc/squid/squid.conf (find "http_port 3128"
and change it to your desired port as necessary).
--
Devin

NB: Alternatively, if you have intentions to use the
apache web server to serve web pages, you might
want to skip squid and just use apache. Here's a
configuration file you can put into
/usr/local/etc/apache22/Includes
(or /usr/local/etc/apache24/Includes if you choose
apache24 over apache22):

FILE: mod_proxy.conf
# Proxying to other hosts
<IfModule mod_proxy.c>