FreeBSD/amd64 on ASUS Transformer T100 convertible tablet?

Alexander.Shendi Alexander.Shendi at web.de
Fri Apr 25 10:49:38 UTC 2014

Dear list,

I have recently acquired an Asus Transformer T100 convertible tablet. I have managed to replace Windows with Linux (Ubuntu 14.04 64bit), but I would prefer a BSD system, as I normally use OpenBSD.

I do not know the hardware very well:
* 4x Atom Z3740 CPU @ 1.33 GHz.
* Intel Bay Trail SOC.

I would like to try to install FreeBSD/amd64 on it, but would like to ask a few questions:
* The tablet uses 32bit UEFI firmware and a GPT partition setup. I have disabled secure boot. Can the standard installer deal with this setup or must I boot via GRUB2?
* I can't find a kernel binary to feed to the GRUB2 kfreebsd command, only ISO/memstick  images. Where do I find one?
* Is there any point in trying -current?
* I need XHCI (USB3) support for the keyboard in the docking station, but I think that should work in 10.0?
* Any additional comments on how to proceed would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance for you help.

Best Regards,

Alexander