10.0 set prompt for new users has problems

Fbsd8 fbsd8 at a1poweruser.com
Thu Apr 24 15:49:58 UTC 2014

Fbsd8 wrote:
> 10.0 host and using pw command to adduser.
> pw adduser test -c Test-user -m -g wheel -w yes
>
> original /etc/csh.cshrc and /usr/share/skel/dot.cshrc files
>
> When I log into user test the prompt is a single dollar sign.
>
> Issuing the ll command i see .cshrc*
> Why does this file end with an *?
>
> I can edit the as .cshrc* or .cshrc and replace the existing  set prompt
> statement with set prompt = "# %/ >"  then save the file, exit and login
> again. The prompt is still a dollar sign.
>
> If I issue set prompt = "# %/ >" command from the test user command line
> the prompt still doe's not change.
>
> I can edit the /usr/share/skel/dot.cshrc replacing the existing set
> prompt with the new one, deluser test, adduser test, and still get
> dollar sign for the prompt even though I see the wanted prompt statement
> in user test home directory .cshrc* file.
>
> Another problem is the alias commands la and lf don't work but the ll
> alias does work.

Some thing else strange comes to mind. Since release 4.x I have pw.conf
and adduser.conf files in /etc that I move forward to each new release.
This time on 10.0 with those .conf files in play, when I did a pw
adduser I got a message saying a dump was being taken, but vipw and pw
showuser showed that new user was there so I disregarded the dump
message. Deleting the /etc pw.conf and adduser.conf files from /etc made
the dump message stop. This looks like another symptom of what maybe a
pw bug.

In general this was not occurring in 9.x and older releases. Only
happing in release 10.0.