FBSD jail versus VMWare? What services do YOU run in a jail?

Alejandro Imass aimass at yabarana.com
Thu Apr 24 15:18:11 UTC 2014

On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 3:02 AM, Eduardo Morras <emorrasg at yahoo.es> wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Apr 2014 14:47:45 -0700
> "edflecko ." <edflecko at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> What type of services CAN be run from within a jail?
>
> I tried to run PostgreSQL8.4 (IIRC) in a jail under FreeBSD8.2. There were a lot of problems with SysV signals and semaphores (IIRC) and had to install it in host. Don't know if it's actually relevant.

Yes SYSV IPC is _potentially_ problematic but the workaround is
usually easy if you just make sure that you don't repeat the uids of
the apps using SYSV IPC.

So to run Pg on more than one Jail what I do is just change the Pg
user id by concatenating the default hid which is 70 to the last
numbers of the IP address of the jail. So for example if the IP of the
jail is 192.168.101.124 I would do this as soon as I install Pg on the
Jail:

pw usermod pgsql -u 70124
pw groupmod pgsql -g 70124
pw usermod pgsql -g 70124
chown -R pgsql /usr/local/pgsql/
chgrp -R pgsql /usr/local/pgsql/

That has worked for me and should work for any other application using IPC.

Best,

Alejandro Imass