urndis

Chris Whitehouse cwhiteh at onetel.com
Tue Apr 22 18:25:09 UTC 2014

On 22/04/2014 12:07, Thomas Mueller wrote:
>> I need to use the USB tethering ability of my Samsung Galaxy S5, and the
>> handbook suggests using either cdce or urndis. I've tried cdce with no luck,
>> and I'm not surprised because windows identifies the phone as RNDIS. However,
>> I can't find any urndis anywhere on my system. Some pointers would be greatly
>> appreciated.
>
>> Sincerely,
>> Rolf Nielsen
>
> I remember seeing urndis as an option in NetBSD kernel config, but not FreeBSD.
>
> Here is the line from NetBSD-current i386 GENERIC kernel config:
>
> urndis* at uhub? port ?         # Microsoft RNDIS specification
>
> I am not really familiar with this.

urndis man page says it provides support for Ethernet access over Remote
NDIS. Is that what you want? Or do you want to use your phone's 3(/4)g
capability?

I tether my phone to my laptop in the sense that I use it as a modem for
my laptop when I don't have access to wifi or ethernet. I connect the
two with a USB cable and use ppp. The laptop is then using the phone's
3g connection.

If that's what you want see the handbook:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/userppp.html

Sorry if that's off message.

Chris