pkg don't recognize installed packages

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Fri Apr 18 16:33:34 UTC 2014

On 18/04/2014 16:53, lokadamus at gmx.de wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> After an upgrade of portmaster and pkg both doesn't show me my installed
> programms.
>
> root at FBSDhost:/var/db/pkg # portmaster -L
> ===>>> Root ports (No dependencies, not depended on)
> ===>>> pkg-1.2.7_2
> ===>>> portmaster-3.17.4
> ===>>> 2 root ports
> ===>>> Trunk ports (No dependencies, are depended on)
> ===>>> 0 trunk ports
> ===>>> Branch ports (Have dependencies, are depended on)
> ===>>> 0 branch ports
> ===>>> Leaf ports (Have dependencies, not depended on)
> ===>>> 0 leaf ports
> ===>>> 2 total installed ports
>         ===>>> There are no new versions available
>
> root at FBSDhost:/var/db/pkg # pkg info
> pkg-1.2.7_2                    Package manager
> portmaster-3.17.4              Manage your ports without external
> databases or languages
> root at FBSDhost:/var/db/pkg #
>
> What can i do to see which software like firefox, thunderbird, xorg is
> installed?

You need to do two things:

   1) If converting from a system that used to use pkg_tools, then one
time only, you need to run pkg2ng to import all the packages registered
in the old-style package database.

   2) If you're on FreeBSD 9.x or earlier, and you intend to install any
packages by compiling from ports then you need to add

    WITH_PKGNG=yes

to /etc/make.conf.  This is already the default in 10.x and above.  It
only affects installing from ports, and is irrelevant if you use binary
packages exclusively.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--