make installworld failed

Mike Casper mikecspr at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 02:55:12 UTC 2014

On Mon, Apr 14, 2014 at 9:46 PM, Thomas Hoffmann <trh411 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 14, 2014 at 10:17 PM, Mike Casper <mikecspr at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Without rebooting and in single user mode, is it ok to 'rm -rf /usr/src'
>> and 'rm -rf /usr/obj' then 'svn checkout
>> https://svn0.us-east.FreeBSD.org/base/stable /usr/src and restart from
>> the
>> beginning of the handbook procedure list?
>>
>> Thanks
>

> Here is what I would do:
>
> 1) svn update /usr/src
>      This will update your working copy of the repository ... lots faster
> than a whole new checkout
> 2) make -j4 -DNO_CLEAN buildworld
>      Using -DNO_CLEAN will keep everything from the last 'make buildworld'
> and rebuild only what is required given the source tree updates, which will
> be lots faster than a full 'make buildworld'.
> 3) Continue with 'make buildkernel' etc. etc. as in the Handbook
>
> -Tom

To late. My inpatients got the better of me, but I did realize after I
started a new checkout of the src, that an update would be quicker. Thanks
for adding the other nugget with the make -j -DNO_CLEAN. I had absolutely
no idea I could do that. I'll let it buildworld overnight and then hit it
with a buildkernel KERNCONF=COLDSTEEL in the morning.

Thanks