MITM attacks against portsnap and freebsd-update

n j nino80 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 14 07:52:49 UTC 2014

On Fri, Apr 11, 2014 at 5:38 PM, David Noel <david.i.noel at gmail.com> wrote:

> > I should have said "phased out" instead of "retired".
>
> Even if it was retired immediately users could still stay on whatever
> release they were on; they'd only have to install subversion.

I was under the impression that portsnap was not there just because there
was no svn in base, but also to make updating the ports more efficient -
downloading a compressed archive and extracting it locally seems faster
than checking out thousands of ports files (assume system is not updated
regularly)?

--
Nino