developer be a good administrator too : mandatory?

Mayuresh Kathe mayuresh at kathe.in
Mon Apr 14 03:10:52 UTC 2014

hello,

i used to be a unix developer till a decade back, before
turning to the web (economic reasons) and finally becoming
a manager (of sorts).

i haven't written a full blown program in over 7 years and
feel that my coding skills have erroded.

i am re-training to be a software developer, because, i've
realized that it is what i love to do.

the question that's popping up in my mind is;
"is it necessary for a freebsd developer (c89) to also be a
great system administrator?".

the rationale i've heard is that if you can't handle your
own freebsd system, how are you going to get productive!

~mayuresh