freebsd 10 specific books?

Matthew Pherigo hybrid120 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 13 18:49:35 UTC 2014

Hi Mayuresh,

> On Apr 12, 2014, at 9:51 PM, Mayuresh Kathe <mayuresh at kathe.in> wrote:
>
> hello, apologies if this is an off-topic question.

As long as it's about FreeBSD, it's on-topic. :)

> is there anything else that i might have missed out?
> something for freebsd 10 administration!

Well, first of all, there's the FreeBSD handbook, which, all things considered, has as much value is any book you might buy off of Amazon. And, it's free!

Another book to look at is Absolute FreeBSD by Michael W. Lucas, an extremely good author who is EXCELLENT at technical writing. Unfortunately, the latest edition of the book is still one or two FreeBSD releases old -- but, it's still extremely useful and educational. And, apparently he'll have a new edition for FreeBSD 10 out soon, at which point I will throw my money at his face immediately. Some of his other books include Absolute OpenBSD, SSH Mastery, and Sudo Mastery, all of which I can unconditionally recommend for BSD administrators. In fact, I would recommend Sudo Mastery for every Unix Administrator, so if there's one book you purchase out of all of these, it should be that one. https://www.tiltedwindmillpress.com/?product=sudo-mastery-user-access-control-for-everyone

Unfortunately, besides the handbook, I'm not really sure there are ANY books released for version 10. Part of the difficulty of using something like FreeBSD is that there are less people to participate in the ecosystem, due to the fact that there are fewer people aware of it then something like, say, Debian Linux. This means there are less people to consume books about it, and therefore, less authors who are motivated to write books for it. Of course, when books ARE released, they are usually worth their weight in gold. So, keep your eyes open. I know I will!

--Matt