Understanding DMESG

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Fri Apr 4 16:15:04 UTC 2014

On Tue, 1 Apr 2014 16:55:26 +0000, Bailey, Jeremy wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I ran the DMESG in terminal and have examined the output.
> I have even been able to locate the device on the output.
> My problem comes in identifying just what the ugenX.y is.
> If you could help me with this that would be great.

A powerful resource of the FreeBSD OS is the immediately
available local documentation. If you find an entry in
dmesg, use "man <entry>" to find out more about it, for
example "man ugen", "man usb", "man kbd" or "man bge".

The ugen devices refer to "USB generic devices". Those
are usually picked up by the approproate driver which
may associate another device entry, for example ulpt
(USB printer), uscanner (USB scanner) or ums (USM mouse).

With the "usbconfig" program, you can identify the
devices on the system. Use

	# usbconfig -u <unit> -a <addr> dump_device_desc

to find out what ugen<unit>.<addr> is. See "man usbconfig"
for further details.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany