Freebsd as a virtualbox HOST

R. Scott Evans nanog at rsle.net
Fri Apr 4 12:42:57 UTC 2014

On 04/03/14 04:58, Maurizio Vairani wrote:
> I am running FreeBSD 9.2-STABLE as a VirtualBox host with three Windows
> 7 VM from February 2013.
> The FreeBSD server has an Intel i7 with 64 GB RAM. The server and the
> VMs are very, very stable.
> I am writing this mail in a Windows 7 VM via Mac OS X Remote Desktop and
> seems to work on real PC.
> The only real, unique issue is  the VM clock drift: it is slow, very
> slow and I need to synchronize it every 5 minutes.
> In the log I can read from +105ms to +50,43s as adjustment.
>
> Regards
> Maurizio

I had the exact same problem with clock drift pop up on one of my
previously non-problematic FreeBSD VM's running on a FreeBSD host about
a month or two ago when all the NTP attacks started.  I locked down NTP
at that time on the guest and host systems but also made a bunch of
other changes trying to fix it so I'm not sure which was the final
solution but if it wasn't the NTP issue my next guess was that it might
have been a case of me updating the VirtualBox port (and others) on the
host and then not reloading the virtualbox kernel module or rebooting
the host after the port update.  Regardless, it's not an issue for me
any longer (ie, any drift I am seeing is minimal and ntpd is able to
keep up on it's own).

-scott