How to ask a DNS resolver listening on a different port than the tcp/udp 53

Laurent SALIN salin.laurent at laposte.net
Sun Sep 29 19:11:23 UTC 2013

Hi,
for the list archive, here's how I solved my "problem".
Some on the thread tell me to run BIND on the 1rst VPS, as DNS
autoritative server and as caching resolver who let only hosts from my
network send him queries.

Well I'm quite happy my setup with NSD as DNS autoritative and UNBOUND
as caching resolver so I don't really want to change them for BIND, but
i'd do it if this is the only way.

I descide to focus on the 2nd VPS, the one who can't send queries
directly to tcp/udp 5353, I configure UNBOUND to forward all queries to
my 1rst VPS with few dedicated lines in the
/usr/local/etc/unbound/unbound.conf:

<file>
...snip...

forward-zone:
       name: "."
       forward-addr: "public_ip_v4"@5353  # forward to port 5353.
       forward-first: yes
</file>

and modify my /etc/resolv.conf to only have localhost as nameserver.

The system footprint of UNBOUND is very small so it's just fine to me.

Thanks all for the help.

Laurent SALIN