PKGNG

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Fri Sep 20 09:16:58 UTC 2013

On 09/20/13 05:05, Ethan W. House wrote:
> What is the status of pkgng. The handbook says to use it but else were it
> says that the repos are empty due to a security incident last November.
>
> Are there beta repos hidden somewhere that can be used? The reason I ask is
> I want to install packages like Gimp and LibreOffice which will take a
> fortnight on my laptop to compile. I tried pkg_add but that broke
> everything when I updated to 9.2.

pkgng is in rude health.  It's certainly usable -- you can enable it on
your systems and use it with the ports (portmaster, portupgrade style)
or you can try various repos which are available online.

The systems that will be the official FreeBSD pkg repo are on-line and
available for testing with:

% cat /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/pkg-test.conf
---
pkg-test:
  ENABLED: YES
  MIRROR_TYPE: SRV

This doesn't have package signatures yet, but otherwise it's pretty much
what will be the official pkg repository for 10.0-RELEASE.

There are other publicly available pkg repos, such as the one provided
by Exonetric which is at

    http://mirror.exonetric.net/pub/pkgng/${ABI}/latest

	Cheers,

	Matthew