FreeBSD stuck during the boot process.

Michael Sierchio kudzu at tenebras.com
Tue Sep 17 16:02:58 UTC 2013

On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 9:47 AM, atar <atar.yosef at gmail.com> wrote:
> Polytropon <freebsd at edvax.de> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 17 Sep 2013 12:15:58 +0300, Atar wrote:
>>>
>>> When I try to boot FreeBSD from a USB stick, it stuck during the
>>> boot process. But if I boot it in safe mode, it succeeds to boot.

> Yes, you remember correctly, safe mode disable the ACPI support
> automatically.

The problem may also be that USB devices take a long time to settle.
I suggest these in your /boot/loader.conf

hint.acpi.0.disabled="1"
kern.cam.boot_delay="10000"
kern.cam.scsi_delay="2000"

The CAM boot delay is needed for USB booting on some of my machines,
esp. Soekris boxes.  10 seconds is safe.

- M