howto kill x if x is running?

Gary Kline kline at thought.org
Sun Sep 15 06:22:23 UTC 2013

Of_Interest: With 27 years  of service  to the  Unix  community.

	guys,

	I've evidently had too many pain meds; this shelll script should
	be easy.  say that I have a utility xxx running sometimes.  xxx is
	soaking up a chunk of my load.  I have to use top to find if
	xxx is running, then kill -9 to kill xxx and have a steady load of,
	say, between 0.10 and 0.15.  what's the script that can do this?

	gary

             Twenty-seven years of service to the Unix community.
                            http://www.thought.org/HOPE