lpd(8) sending email to the wrong address

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Tue Sep 10 13:25:58 UTC 2013

On Tue, 10 Sep 2013, Olivier Nicole wrote:

> My printing system is archaic, based on lpr(8), but it works fine for
> centralizing printing from Windows (with Samba), Mac and Linux
> clients. Plus it includes a printing quota system, so I am reluctant
> to change.

Don't apologize, many people use lpd as an alternative to the hidden
complexity of CUPS.

> When a print job is failing, lpr will try to send a warning email to
> user at client but that e,ail address does not exist; is there a way to
> send email at user at default.domain instead?

Looking at the source (usr.sbin/lpr/lpd/printjob.c), it does not appear
there is any option.  The sendmail() routine in that file could be
modified.  Or if you filter outgoing mail at or before the MTA, that
filter could be changed to look for mail from lpd and adjust the domain.