Since SquirrelMail Looks Like It Will Never Be Supported Again...

doug doug at fledge.watson.org
Mon Sep 2 07:41:10 UTC 2013

On Sat, 31 Aug 2013, Reko Turja wrote:

> -----Original Message----- From: Frank Leonhardt
>
>> FWIW I'm using Dovecote 1 or 2 for the IMAP. In particular, Dovecot 1 with
>> Squirrelmail has been really hammered, but has never broken. I sometimes
>> get time-outs copying thousands of emails in one hit, but that's fair
>> enough and nothing has ever been lost. Could the server be the problem in
>> your case? I found the standard imapd did weird things for a lot of
>> clients, and making the switch after many years of trying to blame the
>> client software was a really good decision.
>
> Running Cyrus here for ages, it might be a bit of pain to set up, but it's
> been a really bulletproof and "zero maintenance" solution. The problems
> cannot be replicated on any other client, only Squirrel has those problems
> with mail not showing up.
>
> -Reko

We run postfix/cyrus mail servers. My experience with messages not showing up
happens with Outlook (versions 2003, 2007, and 2013), squirrelmail, and mac
mail. In all cases reported, the user can find messages either by sorting by
date or by searching on some matching criteria. We put this in our FAQ. I have
not noticed this issue with a server using sendmail/dovecot.