Official FreeBSD Binary Packages now available for pkgng

Bryan Drewery bdrewery at FreeBSD.org
Thu Oct 31 22:03:28 UTC 2013

On 10/30/2013 11:31 PM, Olivier Nicole wrote:
> Hi,
>
>>> You can now either continue to use ports with portmaster/portupgrade, as
>>> before or switch to using binary packages only.
>
> I strongly expect that ports will remain a standard feature in the
> later releases of FreeBSD.
>
> Packages may be nice for the home/desktop user, but when it comes to
> production servers, one wants to be able to tweak what he is
> installing.
>
> FreeBSd is certainly my choice of an OS when I need to install a
> server, but if it ends up looking like Microsoft, I will have to
> reconsider.
>
> The cost of recompiling a port is way worth the flexibility it offers.
>
> Olivier

Completely agreed. However, you should not be compiling anything on your
production machines! It is dangerous because of shlib bumping; you may
have a broken system. It is dangerous due to dependencies being updated
before other ports are, possibly breaking those. It also adversely
affects your performance and load. The list goes on. Building on
production is a big risk of downtime.

I recommend setting up ports-mgmt/poudriere on a good
non-production-facing box and building packages to your own liking with
your own OPTIONS on there. Then you can serve out your own pkg
repository to your production machines. Poudriere is exactly what the
FreeBSD project is using to build packages as well.

https://fossil.etoilebsd.net/poudriere/doc/trunk/doc/pkgng_repos.wiki

--
Regards,
Bryan Drewery