Official FreeBSD Binary Packages now available for pkgng

Olivier Nicole olivier.nicole at cs.ait.ac.th
Thu Oct 31 04:31:17 UTC 2013

Hi,

>> You can now either continue to use ports with portmaster/portupgrade, as
>> before or switch to using binary packages only.

I strongly expect that ports will remain a standard feature in the
later releases of FreeBSD.

Packages may be nice for the home/desktop user, but when it comes to
production servers, one wants to be able to tweak what he is
installing.

FreeBSd is certainly my choice of an OS when I need to install a
server, but if it ends up looking like Microsoft, I will have to
reconsider.

The cost of recompiling a port is way worth the flexibility it offers.

Olivier