Kernel/World/Ports compilation within jails; targeting many platforms.

Jason Birch jbirch at jbirch.net
Mon Oct 28 09:28:24 UTC 2013

> For your case, 11-CURRENT/armv7 isn't going to work on
> 9.1-RELEASE/amd64.  Your best bet would be some sort of VM where you
> could emulate an armv7 CPU, if such a thing exists and is usable for
> your intended purpose.

I wouldn't be attempting to run these compiled armv7 ports in the jail,
however. Simply cross-compiling them for transplanting into another system.
I'd like to be able to do this for convenience, but I think I may settle
into building things on each system -- it may be slower, but it'll allow me
to help contribute to weeding out problems with completely self-hosted
systems -- the time spent compiling is the least I can do to contribute.

Thanks for the detailed response -- I appreciate the insight into the
limitations of jails and why it's probably not appropriate for what I'm
trying to accomplish.