FreeNAS vs. FreeBSD?

aurfalien aurfalien at gmail.com
Sun Oct 27 15:49:08 UTC 2013

On Oct 27, 2013, at 7:54 AM, Andrea Venturoli wrote:

> On 10/27/13 15:16, C. P. Ghost wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> up until now, I'm used to run FreeBSD on SuperMicro servers
>> with ZFS-over-GELI. Works like a charm, and I'm comfortable
>> with it w.r.t. administration and so on.
>>
>> Now I'm wondering what's the difference to FreeNAS.
>>
>> Does FreeBSD endorse FreeNAS (there's no port to FreeNAS
>> in the ports tree, that's why I ask), or is it a completely
>> different and independent project of unknown quality
>> and reputation? Would you advise to keep using FreeBSD
>> or should I give FreeNAS a try?
>>
>> I know this belongs more to a FreeNAS mailing list, but I'd
>> like to know what FreeBSD users think and recommend.
>
> Just my 2c...
>
> I've had only one experience with FreeNAS, when I was called upon a box where files could not be deleted or moved: turned out its default settings for Samba and filesystem were arguable at the least and ACLs would prevent what could be expected to be normal behaviour.
>
> No way to fix this through FreeNAS web interface, I had to ssh into the box and do everything the FreeBSD way (chflags, chown, ecc...).
> So much for easy web administration.
>
> For myself, being able to use simple shell commands, I see no point over plain (and standard) FreeBSD; it might have a point for inexperienced people

I disagree.  I think its more for ppl who want a GUI for ZFS/NAS management regardless of skill level and ability to learn (this is such an old and unsophisticated argument).

One can look at FreeNAS as a FreeBSD box with a nice shiny ZFS/NAS GUI to boot.

For example, I do drop into CLI 1/2 the time for specific/special tasks and spend the other half in GUI land on my FreeNAS box.

- aurf