(de)centralized ports management with portsnap

CyberLeo Kitsana cyberleo at cyberleo.net
Sun Oct 27 09:01:18 UTC 2013

On 10/25/2013 02:32 PM, David Newman wrote:
> I'm setting up a group of FreeBSD servers that use 'portsnap fetch' and
> then 'portsnap update' to refresh their ports trees.
>
> Can I set up a local master to avoid pulling updates multiple times? If
> portsnap isn't the right tool for this, what is?
>
> Apologies if this has been asked before; this seems like a standard
> problem, but I didn't see an answer in a web search, the portsnap
> manpage, or in the Michael W. Lucas FreeBSD book.

ports/171681

I do the same; additionally, I maintain some private ports that are not
very useful outside of my organization. The patch in ports/171681 allows
me to use 'make update' in /usr/ports to synchronize via rsync from a
central server.

Recently, I have been using poudriere and portmaster for semi-embedded
and jail installs that have common software needs, which eliminates the
need for a local ports tree entirely.

--
Fuzzy love,
-CyberLeo