(de)centralized ports management with portsnap

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Sun Oct 27 05:45:03 UTC 2013

On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 02:22:24PM -0700, David Newman wrote:
> On 10/25/13 2:18 PM, illoai at gmail.com wrote:
> > On 25 October 2013 15:32, David Newman <dnewman at networktest.com> wrote:
> >> I'm setting up a group of FreeBSD servers that use 'portsnap fetch' and
> >> then 'portsnap update' to refresh their ports trees.
> >>
> >> Can I set up a local master to avoid pulling updates multiple times? If
> >> portsnap isn't the right tool for this, what is?
> >>
> >> Apologies if this has been asked before; this seems like a standard
> >> problem, but I didn't see an answer in a web search, the portsnap
> >> manpage, or in the Michael W. Lucas FreeBSD book.
> >
> > It's probably simplest to simply pull with one machine & then use
> > rsync or some such to push the updates out to the client machines
> > which would then run "portsnap update" as needed.
>
> Thanks. What directories would get rsync'd over for the updates? Is it
> really as simple as just copying over /usr/ports to each machine?

If you are fine with having the same software on all machines and assuming
they all use the same platform and compatible releases, I'd use portsnap and
portmaster to update one master machine. Then distribute /usr/local to all
other machines via rsync.

You can still configure each machine's /etc/rc.conf to decide which services
to run.

Roland
--
R.F.Smith                                   http://rsmith.home.xs4all.nl/