howto recognize the Shift and Alt keys when /pressed\

Gary Kline kline at thought.org
Fri Oct 25 18:44:48 UTC 2013

Of_Interest: With 27 years  of service  to the  Unix  community.

	my shoulder went out, sorry!!

On Thu, Oct 24, 2013 at 02:11:32AM +0200, Polytropon wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Oct 2013 16:38:05 +0000, Gary Kline wrote:

> Linux, you should make sure you rely on a sound output system
> that is present on all of them (requires 3rd party library).
> The same will probably be true for accessing the keyboard in
> a "low level" manner, but I'm almost sure this works very
> different in Linux and the BSDs...
>

> you need to get your hands dirty in hardware-related system
> source code, for example the keyboard input driver (one level
> above atkbd and ukbd, one level below terminal I/O).
>

> > 	my c = getch() isnt doing anything with the modifier keys.
>
> Of course not. It simply reads from the keyboard input buffer
> (which is a _character buffer_), and the modifier keys don't
> add anything to that buffer.
>

> > 	*this* may be why xset fails.  there may have been no generic
> > 	way of getting xset working as broadly as it had to, ?, so
> > 	the keyclick stuff wasnt touched.
>
> What are you using xset for? I know there's "xset c 100", but
> I never saw that working...
>

> > 	FWIW: I've got the arrow keys working.  page up/down, home,
> > 	end too.
>
> Those have equivalents in ncurses and also send data to the
> keyboard buffer (usually a two byte sequence or escape codes).
>

> > 	wrote was for the PDP-8!  IF I can use the 64bit intel
> > 	assembler to grab the keys I want and return to the rest
> > 	of my C/ncurses prog, that might work.
> >
> > 	anybody know if this makes any sense?
>
> No need to re-invent the wheel here. Just "attach to" the
> responsible components of the OS mentioned above. In C. :-)

	I wonder if I could take the src of xev.c and then,
	seeing what it does when I click on CTRL, ATL, CAPS LOCK,
	anf SHIFT.  MAke any sense?

> --
> Polytropon
> Magdeburg, Germany
> Happy FreeBSD user since 4.0
> Andra moi ennepe, Mousa, ...

             Twenty-seven years of service to the Unix community.
                            http://www.thought.org/HOPE