FreeBSD distribution for ARM processors.

John W. Kitz John.Kitz at xs4all.nl
Thu Oct 24 18:19:03 UTC 2013

Elias,

Much appreciated.

Regards, Jk.

-----Original Message-----
From: Lowell Gilbert [mailto:freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org]
Sent: Thursday, October 24, 2013 7:42 PM
To: Elias Chrysocheris; John W. Kitz
Cc: freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
Subject: Re: FreeBSD distribution for ARM processors.

For the original poster, I should point to FreeBSD's ARM support list,
wiki.freebsd.org/FreeBSD/arm/

Elias Chrysocheris <elias_chr at otenet.gr> writes:

> On Thursday 24 of October 2013 17:14:57 John W. Kitz wrote:
>> Gilbert,
>>
>> Thanks. Do you expect this current position to change in the near future?
>>
>> The reason I'm asking is the fact that I get the impression that
>> there may be developments in the area of hardware development such as
>> the cubietruck (see
>> http://cubieboard.org/2013/09/14/cubietruck-is-put-into-trial-product
>> ion/) which move ARM based systems closer to general purpose
>> platforms based on architectures such as i386, AMD, SPARC, etc. and
>> which might warrant such a change provided that it is feasible from a
>> perspective of distribution packaging of course.
>>
>> Regards, Jk.

be deployed to all of them.

One of the reasons for ARM's popularity is the fact that it can be easily
licensed. As a result, a lot of ARM processors share chip space with
specialized hardware. In other words, the whole point of using ARM is often
quite specifically to make nonstandard hardware.

> There are, though some very helpful tries to run FreeBSD in many of
> these ARM boards. You can follow the FreeBSD-arm mailing list and the
> FreeBSD-embedded list to keep track of what is the improovements on
> that area. Ganbold Tsagaankhuu makes a great effort for some of them.
> And I really wish I had the knowledge to contribute in this effort, as
> I own an ODroid-U2 that I would really wish to see it running FreeBSD.

Sure. Dealing with the ARM instruction set and memory interface is no big
deal, but every new ARM system is essentially a different port, albeit often
a minor one.

> Cubieboard, Raspberry Pi, BeagleBone and BeagleBone Black (and many
> more) on the other hand, I thing the effort of those teams is in a
> very good road to success! So, I really urge you to follow these mailing
list.

I think you missed a word in that first sentence, probably a verb. But I
assume you were pointing out that all of those platforms (and a bunch
more) do run FreeBSD now. It's just not practical to have a single
distribution that would run on more than just one type of platform.