click-click in floppy disk drive

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Wed Oct 23 14:32:49 UTC 2013

On Wed, 23 Oct 2013 15:21:15 +0100, Frank Leonhardt wrote:
> The rot set in with the move from 8" to 5" in my view. Okay, before the
> SA400 they weren't exactly standard but the cut-down interface missed
> off the commonly fun fun lines like the one to tell you if the door was
> open and the "lock door", to prevent the luser from whipping a diskette
> out when you didn't want them to. Oh! What fun we had with that one :-)

Have a look at MacIntosh computers and Sun workstations: Their
3.5" floppy disk drives did not have a mechanical eject button
so as long as a disk was being accessed or mounted, the (l)user
could not forcedly get the disk out of the machine. :-)

I still have a "museum computer" here that operates with 5.25"
floppy disks from the 1980s. The funny and surprising thing:
It's _fully_ functional and the disk don't show any sign of
degrading behaviour. Of course that's not a system one would
use today for any kind of productive work, but the system itself,
and all its components, still work as intended. Let's see if
(and how) a "modern" laptop or PC from today would behave in
the year 2048, which is 2^11. :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany